The Hatter Chatter & KV Quill
The Hatter Chatter & KV Quill is Keith Valley’s school newspaper and literary & arts magazine. It is published three times during the school year: Fall, Winter, and Spring, with special small Winter Break and Summer Break editions. All contents are created by students.
The purpose of The Hatter Chatter is to give interested students the opportunity to dabble in journalism, including article writing, opinion pieces, sports news, interviews, and much more. Students in The KV Quill create short stories, poetry, artwork, photography, and much more.
Students may sign-up to participate in both The Hatter Chatter & KV Quill or just one. They may also submit more than one piece per issue; no one is turned away from joining.
How would you like to be a newspaper reporter?
The Hatter Chatter needs
- movie reviewers
- video game reviewers
- book reviewers
Last year, the HATTER CHATTER was selected BEST MIDDLE SCHOOL STUDENT NEWSPAPER in the United States for middle schools of over 1,000 students by the American Scholastic Press Association. YOU TOO CAN BECOME A CHAMPION OF WRITING!
Want to have your writing read or photographs viewed by over a 1,000 people?
Last year, the Hatter Chatter was read by an average of 1,100 readers per issue.
This year, with students at KV all having a device, it could be closer to 2,000.
How do you do it?
We meet in Mr. Gross’ class at PACE on Thursdays.
- That is when you interview fellow students and teachers
- You may also interview principals, administrative assistants, teacher assistants and custodians
- You will usually finish articles at home, work on them at PACE, or Thursday meetings
- You will share your articles with Mr. Gross on Canvas (One Drive, and Emails work as well).
- EASY deadlines -We publish one newspaper per trimester, so you have three months to write your article.
- New at news? No worries, Mr. Gross will show you how! This is a place to learn and grow, like all other school activities.
What can you Write About?
- If you play on a sports team, or participate in a club, you can write about your own club.
- Reading Olympians or any other avid reader can write book reviews about the latest page turner they finished.
- Video Gamers can review the latest video games they play.
- Movie lovers can review their favorite new movies.
- Streamers can review their favorite Amazon or Netflix episodes.
- Many articles will be about KV activities.
- Students have written articles about personal interests such as social media, or retail malls going out-of-business.
- Students have written articles about their academic interests, such as astronomy and history.
- Students come up with awesome ideas for articles that Mr. Gross and the rest of the Hatter Chatter staff would never have thought of. One student wrote articles about their scoliosis. Mr. Gross' daughter was diagnosed with scoliosis as a middle school student, and he co-wrote one of the articles about his parental experiences, and the importance of school health screenings.
Check Out Last Year’s Hatter Chatter Editions:
An Associated Scholastic Press Association (ASPA) Nationally Recognized Middle School Newspaper We've come to the end of another...
Welcome Back! It's the beginning of spring of 2019 already! Where did the year go? Welcome to the second edition of the Hatter Chatter,...
November 2018 Welcome to the 2018-2019 school year. This is the first edition of the Hatter Chatter, the official newspaper of the Keith...
Hatter Chatter & KV Quill Contact Information
Hatter Chatter & KV Quill Advisor