The process for identifying service needs for all students in HHSD begins during the registration process. Screening for English Learners occurs through the inclusion of a home language survey form in the registration packet. Families are provided with the home language survey document in the language they prefer.
The Hatboro-Horsham School District Registration Office registers students to the district including:
- Collecting a Home Language Survey from each family during the registration process using a form in the preferred language of the parent.
- TransPerfect is contacted and used to translate the registration conversation as needed by registration office staff.
- For any student indicating another language is spoken in the home, the Registration Office sends a copy of the Home Language Survey to the ESL teacher at the appropriate building.
ESL teachers manage the screening process for ELs new to the district including:
- ESL teachers complete the parent interview to determine whether the WIDA Screener is needed and to identify the preferred language for communicating with the parent.
- ESL teachers develop a screening schedule and screen students using the WIDA Screener, or for transfer students, contact sending school districts to obtain prior WIDA ACCESS results.
- ESL teachers recommend the level of services based on WIDA Screener and information available for transfer students.
- The screening information is placed in the cum folder for students who do not qualify for services.
- ESL teachers confer with classroom and contact teachers about the results of the WIDA Screener assessment.
- Teachers of students qualifying for LIEP services receive a report of screening results, or WIDA ACCESS scores from the previous year, along with copies of the Can-Do Descriptors.
- ESL teachers enter student updates into the student database (Power School).
- Elementary ESL teachers plan a schedule for service delivery with homeroom teachers and principals.
- ESL teachers compile a roster of ELs, including initial and continuing program needs and program types.
- The Curriculum Office mails letters to parents with LIEP program information and contact information for the opt-out process.
Letters used by HHSD to communicate qualifying information for ELs
- ACCESS for ELs Score Report Letter- WIDA.us
- Program Exit Letter- modified TransACT
- District Legal Obligations to Provide an ELD Program Letter – TransACT
- Notice of Program Placement form – modified TransACT
- Parental Waiver Form - TransACT
- Explanation of Consequences for Refusing English Learner Service – TransACT
- Parental Reinstatement Request Form - TransACT