Hatboro-Horsham School District
Information for Volunteers
Thank you for considering sharing your talents and time with the students and families of our district. Hatboro-Horsham School District welcomes and values volunteer participation in our schools. The following information will help you determine the type of clearances, if any, that you will need to volunteer in Hatboro-Horsham Schools.
Why does the Hatboro-Horsham School District (HHSD) require clearances in volunteer situations?
To ensure the safety of our students, HHSD volunteers must comply with certain requirements. The District’s objective is to "promote a safe and secure school environment by establishing requirements and procedures to be followed in order to ensure that school volunteers are in compliance with Pennsylvania’s Child Protective Services Law, which requires certain volunteers in the District’s schools to obtain background clearances prior to commencing services as a volunteer.”
Who is required to obtain clearances?
An adult applying for or holding an unpaid position as a volunteer who either is responsible for a child’s welfare or will have direct volunteer contact with children on a regular and repeated basis. HHSD, in its sole discretion and in accordance with law, shall determine which volunteer positions involve responsibility for a child’s welfare or direct volunteer contact with children on a regular and repeated basis.
“Responsible for a child’s welfare” shall mean “a person who provides permanent or temporary care, supervision, mental health diagnosis or treatment, training or control of a child in lieu of parental care, supervision and control.”
“Direct volunteer contact with children” shall mean “the care, supervision, guidance or control of children and routine interaction with children.”
When do I need to obtain the clearances?
As a volunteer in our schools you are required to obtain clearances prior to your volunteer assignment. Clearances provided must be dated within one calendar year.
*Please note that you will only be provided a volunteer badge once all of your clearances are submitted and your application has been accepted.
For volunteers who are required to obtain clearances, what do they need to provide?
- Volunteer Application- Please complete the HHSD Volunteer Application which includes demographic information to be kept on file at the Administration Building.
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check - Please follow the link for the PA Criminal Record Check
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance (Electronic) or Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance (Paper Form).
You may follow the link above for the electronic submission or to submit a paper request.
(The PA Criminal and Child Abuse Clearances are provided at no charge for volunteers)
New electronic FBI fingerprinting process effective 11/28/2017.
To begin pre-enrollment for your FBI fingerprint, click the above link and enter the requested information. Please select a photo identification document from the list provided. You must produce that same ID at the fingerprinting site. The five closest fingerprinting sites will be listed. Select location, date, and time for your fingerprinting appointment. The fee is $22.60 payable by major credit cards.
Submit the Federal Criminal Background Check (Fingerprinting) if:
- You have not been a resident of Pennsylvania during the entirety of the last ten years.
- You are chaperoning an event identified by the Hatboro-Horsham School District which requires a Federal Criminal Background Check.
Is there any other screening necessary for school volunteers?
The Division of School Health, in discussion with the TB Program at PA Dept. of Health have agreed that volunteers requiring TB Testing are those who provide 10 hours or more per week in direct contact with children.
TB test must be administered within 3 months of employment or volunteer activity or a note (on the physician's letterhead) stating that the person is free of communicable tuberculosis would meet the TB test requirement. This must also be dated within 3 months of employment or volunteer activity.
A copy of the TB test results will be made from the original and kept on file in the Administration Building.
How often will I need to renew my clearances?
You will need to update your clearances every 5 years.
What should I do once I receive my clearances?
- Make an appointment to submit application click here for SignUpGenius - you will be able to make an appointment up to three weeks in advance.
- Bring originals and one copy with you to the Administration Modular Building along with your driver’s license or passport.
- You will have a picture taken.
- Your application will be reviewed. If you are approved, you will be notified by email to pick up your badge in the Administration Building. Please bring your driver’s license or passport when you pick up your badge.
- Your volunteer badge is valid for 5 years. You will not be permitted to volunteer without it. If you lose your badge, contact email@example.com or 215-420-5000. There will be a $5 replacement fee to replace a lost badge.
- Applicants will not be provided with an official copy of the FBI clearances.
- You are required to notify the District’s Human Resources Department within seventy-two hours of any arrest or conviction of an offense that would constitute grounds for denying participation as a volunteer.