Guide for New Families
This guide helps new families understand the happenings of the school that are not listed in any formal handbook. Please read this information about the many opportunities to become a part of our Pennypack community.
Weekly announcements are available on the Pennypack Weekly Happenings section of the school's website. It can be accessed from Pennypack's home page.
Send in a healthy snack each day with your kindergartener, first or second grader. Please no drinks unless specified by the teacher.
- There are 2 sessions for school photos. Formal pictures with class photo are taken in September. Background and package price must be ordered on picture day. In the spring, another photo is taken with an informal background (flowers, trees, etc.) The completed spring photo packet will be sent home. If you want to purchase the photos, send in payment or return unwanted photos.
- A Homeroom Parent Meeting is scheduled for volunteers interested in helping organize the 3 parties held during the year (Halloween, December Holidays, Valentines Day). 2013 Homeroom Parent meeting will be held on Monday, September 16 at 7pm in the Pennypack Library. Each classroom has one or two homeroom parents who organize these events and recruit help from other parents for food and activities such as games, crafts and or a community service project. The HSA helps pay for the holiday parties. Homeroom parents organize a phone chain for the class to be used in the event of early dismissal due to weather or an emergency.
- All AM students (bus riders, walkers, and kindergarteners) line up at the back of the school in the morning. K thru 2nd near the playground, 3rd thru 5th near the modular unit. All students come through the front door and exit the side door out onto the black top area. Children come into the gym/all purpose room during inclement weather.
- A form is sent home prior to the beginning of the school year to all students specifying dismissal procedures. Please be sure this form is completed and returned to school as soon as possible. A note to the classroom teacher and the front office must be sent in when there is any schedule change with picking up children. This includes permission for others (friends, neighbors, relatives) to pick up your children.
- Field Day, held each spring, is a fun day of outside activities. Parents are encouraged to attend to cheer for the children. Field day is held on the soccer field adjacent to school grounds. AM and PM kindergarteners participate during their regularly scheduled times. Each child will be assigned a color...they are to wear that color shirt on Field Day.
- Children will be going on field trips on Hatboro/Horsham school district buses. Permission slips, information about the trip and requests for parent volunteers will be sent home by the classroom teacher. Note, due to insurance reasons, parent volunteers need to provide their own transportation to and from field trips.
- An all-school musical will be presented in the spring at the Hatboro/Horsham High School. Pennypack students will be bused to the high school for a practice session prior to the performance date. All members of the family and friends are invited to attend this evening event. Each grade is assigned a classroom to gather in with their regular classroom teacher. Children usually need to arrive ½ hour before the start of the performance. Students are then led into the auditorium and are seated by class in the front rows.
- All parents are invited to attend the Halloween parade held on the black top area at the side of the school. The parade is held the same day as the parties. Children bring their costumes into school in a bag labeled with their name and class. They will change into their costumes for the parade and parties. AM kindergarten students may be brought back in their costumes to be in the parade, which starts at 2pm. The AM class will parade throughout the school at 10am and then have their party. The PM classes will attend the parade and their class party will follow.
- A Holiday Shop is run by the HSA in December. Children have the opportunity to shop for members of their family. Items are inexpensive allowing this fun time to teach valuable lessons about how to shop, giving to others, and managing money. For this fun event, send your child in with a decided amount of money and a short list of family members to shop for. Each child will be sent home with the purchased items and any change received. If your child is absent on that Thursday when the class shopped together, they are welcome to attend the Friday session.
- Check with the office for Lost and Found items. A Lost and Found box is in the all-purpose room. In June, a table will be set up in the lobby with all items that have not been claimed throughout the year.
- The school store is open each Friday during lunchtime from 11:00-1:00. The store is located in the auditorium where the children eat lunch. Children may purchase small, inexpensive school supplies such as pens, pencils, erasers, rulers, pocket folders. Children may spend up to $3 at any given time. Parent volunteers take turns running this store each week.
- Parents are welcome to attend all assemblies and events. AM kindergarteners are welcome to return to school to participate when PM assemblies are held. Please sign in in the lobby. Please refer to Events for a complete listing.
- Various fundraisers are held throughout the year. Please refer to HSA Fundraisers for a complete listing.
- HSA meetings are held in the school library each month beginning at 7PM. Meetings last approximately one hour. Free babysitting services are provided. All parents are members of the HSA and are encouraged to attend these informational meetings. The agenda is posted each month on the school website. (Hatboro-Horsham.org)
- An HSA suggestions box is in the lobby. You will receive information about HSA sponsored events through flyers in your child's Wednesday envelope and also the monthly newsletter.