The Structure of the Genetic Material
Scientists Who Determined the Structure of DNA
DNA Interactive developed by Cold Springs Laboratory with funding from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.
BUILDING DNA ONLINE
Build a DNA Molecule Online
The Function of the Genetic Material
Virtual Transcription and Translation (Gene Expression)
What Makes a Firefly Glow?
Interactive DNA Replication and Protein Synthesis
The Cell Cycle
Attention HONORS BIO PEOPLE!!
Here is the PowerPoint that you should use to complete and check your drawings of stages in the cell cycle: Cell Cycle PowerPoint
. Scroll down to the mitosis section and use the websites to gather any information you are missing OR (here's an idea) - use the pages in your textbook for information about each stage. :) I just want to tell you guys that I am VERY impressed with the quality of your responses to the online assignments from this unit. The ability to read and work your way through a new concept until you understand it is a skill that will be useful throughout the rest of your life. You rock!!
|Download the Cell Cycle assignment: Honors
DNA Replication (Honors)
Genes and Chromosomes
Chromosome Structure and Karyotyping
Determining Time Spent in Different Phases of the Cell Cycle - Online Lab
MITOSIS VS. MEIOSIS
Causes & Effects of Mutations in the Genetic Material
|Download the Mutation assignment: Honors
includes specific examples of types of point mutations and the diseases they cause and discusses the frequency of mutation in our cells.
shows graphics of different cancers resulting from DNA mutations in body cells.
Review Questions for the Cell Game (and for you to have your parents and/or friends quiz you on!)
MUTATION QUESTIONS TO STUDY FOR THE TEST
- What are two basic types of mutations? DNA mutations and chromosomal mutations
- During which cellular process can DNA mutations occur? DNA replication
- What are three external agents that can cause DNA mutation? sunlight, cigarette smoke, radiation
- What is the difference between point and frameshift mutations? point = one base is changed, frameshift = one or more bases are added or deleted shifting the entire code after that point
- What is a mass of cells that have divided uncontrollably called? tumor
- When a tumor is not life-threatening it is referred to as? benign
- What is an oncogene? gene that can cause cells to divide uncontrollably
- What is the uncontrolled growth of cells that can invade other body parts called? cancer
- What is the process by which cancer cells spread? metastasis
- A substance that causes cancer is called? a carcinogen
- What is an example of a genetic disease that can result from a point mutation in DNA? sickle cell anemia
- What is nondisjunction? when chromosomes dont separate correctly in meiosis
- What is the difference between monosomy and trisomy? monosomy = missing a chromosome, trisomy = one extra chromosome
- If a person has an extra 21st chromosome, what condition do they have? Down syndrome
- A person with one X chromosome would be diagnosed with? Turners syndrome
- How can you tell someone has Klinefelters syndrome? An extra X in space 23
- What is a translocation? When chromosomes have mixed up pieces
- What is it called when a chromosome is missing a piece? deletion